Child Custody Lawyer

When a family faces a separation, children have the right to maintain a stable relationship with both parents. In the best interests of the child during a divorce, we believe the rights and obligations of both parents should be equally considered.

The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, NJ, advocate for your rights in child custody cases.

A Compassionate Family Law Attorney

There are few child custody attorneys in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, with more experience in family law than Jeffrey W. Goldblatt. Mr. Goldblatt offers compassionate and effective representation as a child custody lawyer helping Middlesex County. We can handle a wide scope of divorce-related legal issues involving custody arrangements. From straightforward family law mediations to complex cases involving instances of domestic violence, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has helped parents with all matters of child custody.

Do I Need a Child Custody Attorney?

Jeffrey W. Goldblatt

There are a number of reasons that necessitate a change in child custody. Many cases in family law arise post-divorce or breakup, well after initial custody has been established. Life events and the needs of the child may change over time. It is crucial to consult a family law professional who understands the methods and procedures necessary to build a successful child custody case.

As a child custody lawyer, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has a long track record of helping parents who need custody matters resolved. With a history of practicing family law for over 30 years in Middlesex County, Mr. Goldblatt is well-versed in nearly all types of divorce matters.

Contact us online or call us at our East Brunswick, New Jersey, office to see how Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can assist you today.

(732) 238-8700

Can I Afford An Attorney?

Invest in Your Future With Mr. Goldblatt

When it comes to maintaining the best possible relationship with your children in the wake of a divorce or separation, hiring the right attorney is key.

Our East Brunswick law office understands that cost is a major concern for most clients, which is why we offer free initial consultations. This not only allows you to decide for yourself whether Mr. Goldblatt is the right advocate for your case, but also gives you the chance to get an estimated cost of service without any financial risk.

Flat fees are available based on case type. Call for further information.

"Jeff is the absolute best lawyer I've worked with. He and his team are responsive and fair. No hidden fees." - Arianna Q, 5-Star Google Review

"I highly recommend Mr. Goldblatt's services in family law. He is thorough and responds quickly and proactive to get all aspects of the divorce done quickly and efficiently. Bottom line, Mr. Goldblatt will act extremely hard on your behalf." - Jerry P., 5-Star Google Review

What Types of Custody Are There?

It is important to distinguish between the different types of child custody in family law matters. The two primary types of child custody are legal and physical custody. In any child custody dispute, a number of factors need to be considered to determine the best interests of the child, including any history of domestic violence.

At our law firm in East Brunswick, New Jersey, child custody lawyer Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can help if you need to change the type of custody you currently have with your child.

  • Legal Custody

    Legal custody refers to a parent's right to consultation regarding major decisions affecting the child's general welfare, including health and education as well as access to records. In a typical situation, the parties will enjoy joint legal custody. This allows both parents to actively participate in the child's life and make important decisions after mutual consultation.

  • Physical or Residential Custody

    Physical or residential custody refers to the actual residence of the child. If one parent is granted residential custody of the child, the child will primarily live with that parent, subject to the other parent's rights of parenting time. There are different types of custody arrangements. Ever-increasingly, parties are electing equal custody relationships with the exact division of time to be negotiated by the parties and their attorneys. Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has devised these parenting plans and it is essential you have the assistance of an experienced attorney to guide you through this process.

There Is Too Much at Stake to Not Hire a Lawyer Contact Our Law Offices Today

Divorce is stressful on its own. When you also have to worry about child custody, it becomes even more of a burden that can take a detrimental toll on your mental health and emotional well-being. Having a child custody lawyer in your corner is the best way to ensure you are getting the child custody arrangement you deserve. 

Let our family law team alleviate the stress that comes with divorce and child custody. Contact our East Brunswick–area firm to request your consultation.

(732) 238-8700

"Amazing service which we used for our house purchase, Rachel was always available to answer our questions. We met Jeffrey during the closing in their office, he was extremely polite and everything went smooth. Definitely recommend!"

Pavitra Vasudevan, 5-Star Google Review

How Is Child Support Determined?

Arriving at a fair and comprehensive child support plan is an important step in any divorce proceeding. Regardless of how the relationship with your co-parent ended, you want your child to have everything they need to thrive. Fair child support can ensure that your son or daughter has every opportunity to succeed. 
A family law attorney will help you come to a fair arrangement.
A family law attorney will help you come to a fair arrangement.

Hire an Attorney

The first step to a successful child support arrangement is to hire a family law attorney. They will fight to ensure the child support arrangement is what you deserve.

Court Decision

In family law, the court considers a variety of financial factors to determine child support payments. The court will utilize New Jersey child support guideline calculations in order to determine the appropriate amount of child support.

Modifying the Arrangement

If there has been a serious change in the financial situation for you or your former spouse, our law firm can help you file for the appropriate post-judgment modification. This protects not only your rights but the rights of your children.

Can I Relocate With My Child?

To provide for yourself and your child, you may find employment outside the state of New Jersey. A parent in East Brunswick who shares custody or parenting time rights cannot relocate a child without advising the other parent and petitioning the court for a child custody modification.

While it is in the child's best interest for both parents to come to an agreement through negotiation or mediation, parents are not always able to do this. Sometimes, a judge is needed to hold a hearing to determine if the move should be allowed. This can happen when one parent plans on moving away with the children against the wishes of the other co-parent.

The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, can help parents who need to relocate out of New Jersey or who are facing an ex-spouse looking to relocate.

Mother lifting up a child surrounded by moving boxes

Parental Alienation Syndrome

Child ignoring parent

Parents naturally influence their children. Sometimes, however, one parent manipulates this influence to alienate the other parent. If you think that your ex-spouse is turning your child against you, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt in East Brunswick, NJ, can help you reclaim your relationship before it is too late.

Not every parent is perfect and not every relationship ends well. Regardless, your co-parent should not turn your child against you. Parental alienation syndrome occurs in a child who comes to believe that the targeted parent is someone unworthy of having a relationship with. This develops as a result of the behavior of the alienating parent. 

You do not have to give up on your child. At some point in the future, your child will know if you gave up the fight to be in their life. The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, will help you in your fight to restore and rehabilitate your relationship with your child. 

When Your Child's Well-Being Is on the Line You Need a Lawyer You Can Trust

Mr. Goldblatt has been practicing law since 1975 and has handled hundreds of family law cases in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, NJ. He will approach your case with the utmost compassion while fighting for you and your child. When you hire Mr. Goldblatt to handle your child custody case, you can expect to have dedicated and effective representation. 

Mr. Goldblatt always puts his clients first. He will be honest with you about your case and expected outcomes and keep you informed throughout the entire process. Our Middlesex County law firm has an answering service so Mr. Goldblatt's clients can reach him at all hours. He is the only attorney at the law firm, meaning your case will not get passed off to a paralegal or someone you haven't met. 

Contact our East Brunswick-area firm to request your free initial consultation and gain the peace of mind that comes with having an attorney in your corner.

(732) 238-8700

Lawyer completing paperwork

A Client Tells Their Story About Working with Our East Brunswick Firm

"Divorce can be a very difficult time and finding the right attorney is crucial and not always easy. After calling Jeff Goldblatt‘s office and speaking to his office manager Rachel I Immediately felt welcomed and after leaving only one message, I received a response immediately from Mr. Goldblatt. I knew I was in good hands after our first discussion. He was compassionate understanding and asked questions that I never would’ve thought were important. They turned out to be extremely important. His writing skills are incredible …I had a lot of questions and he always responded to my calls and questions no matter how trivial. He’ll always advise you, he’ll always be honest with you. If Mr. Goldblatt is not available immediately his office staff especially Rachel will always make sure Mr. Goldblatt gets your messages.. if Compassion and intelligence And quick response time are important to you….. Jeffrey Goldblatt office is the one." Leslye Fagin, 5-Star Google Review

Is Your Child in Immediate Danger?

Child Removal in New Jersey

In New Jersey, only the police, a probation officer, or an official from Child and Protective Services can remove a child from their home without a court order. If you believe your child is in immediate danger in their current living situation, you should contact the authorities. However, if your child is not in immediate danger but you believe they are at risk in their home, reach out to our East Brunswick family law firm so we can take the necessary steps to obtain a court order.

Time is crucial when dealing with the health and safety of your child. Do not hesitate to call.

Visitation Issues And How Our Attorney Can Help

Once a custody agreement has been established in New Jersey, it is up to both parents to stick to the arrangement. Failure to do so can result in child custody modifications, community service time, and other disciplinary actions. Issues with parenting time typically fall into two categories: interference of parenting time and not using your parenting time.
Sitting child looking for parent after school


Interference of parenting time can include a parent missing a pick-up date, a last-minute change of schedule, or anything that disrupts the custody agreement previously settled upon. Sometimes an interference in parenting time can be as simple as a miscommunication or a basic need to change plans last minute. Open communication between you and your co-parent is the best way to avoid the issue. However, if interference is a continued problem and communication has shown no progress, contact our family law firm so we can file an incident report or criminal complaint to help you resolve the issue.

lone child staring out window


Non-exercise of parenting rights refers to one parent completely missing their chance to spend time with their child. You should have an open dialogue with your co-parent to understand the reasons for the missed time and try to come to an agreement on how to remedy the situation. However, if missing time becomes a pattern and communication has shown no change, contact our child custody attorney. We can file a court order to temporarily or permanently change your custody arrangement, apply monetary sanctions, or take any other appropriate action to hold the parent accountable. 

Can You Help With Adoption?

Grandfather and grandchild together

When one biological parent is out of the picture, a stepparent or grandparent can be just as important in a child's life. In such cases, many stepparents want to formally adopt their spouse's children. This form of adoption, called stepparent adoption, is now the most common form of adoption in the United States.

At the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., we help families establish the legal relationship of parent and child through the process of stepparent adoption. The process of adopting a stepchild is complex. It is important to hire a resourceful law firm with a history of handling family law matters. With over three decades of service in Middlesex County in the field of family law, child custody lawyer Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can guide you through the process so it goes as smoothly as possible.

"I am greatly satisfied and so is my son."

"Phenomenal results just as Jeff initially proposed. Jeff was great and easy to work with and his expertise and honesty goes a long way. Thanking you isn’t enough, but I am greatly satisfied overall with the outcome and so is my son. Highly recommended !!" Tania, 5-Star Google Review

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Child Custody

What are the two types of custody?

There is legal custody and physical custody (sometimes called residential custody). Legal custody refers to the right to make important decisions in a child's life regarding things like their education and health. Physical custody refers to the parent the child lives with. Sole custody (meaning one parent holds it) or joint custody (meaning both parents share it) can apply to both types. 

My ex wants to move out of state with our child. Can that happen without my permission?

Your child's other parent must either have your permission or a court order. The courts will consider your ex's reasons for wanting to locate (such as a new job) and whether they truly serve the child's best interests. In many cases, the concession the other parent makes is a generous new parenting time agreement. A lawyer can be instrumental in making sure that any such move will truly benefit your child and that accommodations will be made in order to maintain your relationship with your child.

What should I do if my child's other parent doesn't honor our parenting time agreement?

File a motion with the courts with the help of an attorney. If it can be shown that the other parent frequently violates your agreement by failing to pick up your child for parenting time or failing to deliver the child to you when your parenting time starts, the courts may impose penalties on the other parent. They may even adjust the parenting time agreement to give you more time with your child.

Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite