Expert Counsel and Support from Our Child Relocation Attorney

Freehold Custody Modification Lawyer

We live in a mobile world. Gone are the days of most people living in the same town for their entire lives. Moving out of state or even out of the country has become a part of everyday life for many of us. For parents with child custody and visitation agreements, however, relocation is not so simple.

At the New Jersey Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., we work with custodial parents who wish to relocate with their children, as well as with parents opposing a moving plan. We can also help provide guidance in the area of grandparents' rights. Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has more than 30 years of experience as a family law attorney. He can help you seek or respond to a petition for a modification of your child custody order due to relocation.

Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

732-238-8700 East Brunswick | 732-780-9333 Freehold | Fill out our online intake form

Relocation and Child Custody

With the current state of our nation’s economy, many parents are finding it necessary to relocate for new jobs. They need to provide for themselves and their children, and they must go where the work is. This can cause conflict if the other parent, who has custodial or visitation privileges, opposes the move.

A parent who shares custody or visitation cannot relocate a child without advising the other parent and petitioning the court for a child custody modification. It most often in a child’s best interest for both parents to come to an agreement through negotiation or mediation, which can then be presented to the court for approval. If that is not possible, a judge will hold a hearing to determine if the move should be allowed.

Opposing the Relocation of Your Child

In the vast majority of cases, courts consider it to be in the best interest of children to spend time with both parents. When one parent moves away with the children, the other parent’s time with the children is threatened. If your former spouse or partner wishes to relocate with your child, you do not have to agree. If the move is not in the best interest of your child, our firm will help you build a strategy to prove it.

Contact a Child Custody Lawyer

Whether you need a modification of your child custody order because you are moving or you wish to oppose a move, contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.. Arrange a consultation at our Freehold or East Brunswick law offices. For your convenience, evening and weekend appointments are available.

Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite