Parental Alienation New Jersey Family Law By JWGLAWYER on October 25, 2022

Addressing Parental Alienation With Your New Jersey Family Law Attorney 

If you have a child with someone and live separately from the other parent, perhaps you have a first-hand understanding of the difficulties of co-parenting relationships. Sometimes after a difficult separation, one parent’s anger for the other parent is directed toward the child. Anger may be presented in a type of emotional abuse called “parental alienation.” When this happens, one parent speaks poorly of the other parent to the child. Comments can be criticisms, belittling statements, and other kinds of manipulative statements to pit the child against the other parent. The parent making these comments is said to be alienating the child from the other parent. man and woman sitting on sofa in a room

Consequences Of Parental Alienation

There are several consequences of parental alienation. The alienating parent may not intend for any or all negative consequences. That parent may not be completely aware that they are doing it. If you are wondering whether your ex-partner’s comments rise to the level of parental alienation, contact us at the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt (732) 238-8700.   You can also contact us on our website

Impacts On Your Child And Your Relationship Together

If your former spouse is making negative comments about you to your child, the impact upon your child can be long-term if the problem remains unaddressed. Children learn from the behavior of their parents.  Your child also suffers because of the missed opportunity to develop a happy and healthy relationship with you. It can be difficult for you, as the alienated parent, to be part of your child’s life and play the role you thought you would. The troubled relationship can take a toll on your mental health as well. 

Impact On Child Custody

If you already have a court-ordered custody agreement with the other parent, parental alienation violates that court order. Under New Jersey law, courts must view both parents’ rights equally when deciding custody disputes. Courts also uphold the following ideas:

  • Children should be  assured frequent and continuing contact with their parents after separation; and 

  • Both parents should share the rights and responsibilities of rearing their children. 

Your New Jersey Divorce Attorney 

If you believe the other parent has alienated you and your child, the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can help you enforce the custody agreement you already have. If you do not have a custody agreement, obtaining a court order can be one method of ending parental alienation. Please visit our website or call our office at (732) 238-8700.  

Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite