College Student Tuition and Child Support in New Jersey

East Brunswick Child Support Attorney

Whether your children attend private schools, public universities or community colleges, a college education is expensive. As a divorced or single parent in the state of New Jersey, you may assume that you have the right to refuse to pay college tuition or child support beyond age 18. However, New Jersey courts are increasingly likely to require parents to contribute to the cost of college education.

At the New Jersey Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., we offer sound legal advice about college tuition and child support to divorced or single parents with college-age children. Whether you are seeking to have your child’s other parent share in your child’s college expenses or are disputing a financial request, we can help.

With more than 30 years of family law experience, attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can explain your legal options and advocate powerfully for your interests.

Determining Your Financial Responsibility for Your Children’s College Education

In New Jersey, college tuition and child support during the college years are not automatically included as part of child support obligations. While the amount of basic child support to be paid is determined under the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines, college tuition and child support beyond age 18 are not. The determination of the contribution that will be required, if any, is made by another method.

Each parent’s responsibility for college tuition and child support for children over 18 may have been addressed in your divorce decree or child support order. If it was not, the issue can be handled through negotiation or family mediation. If the parents are unable to reach agreement, the issue will be determined by a judge in a child support modification hearing.

Many factors are used to determine whether a parent is responsible for contributing. These factors can include:

  • The amount of the contribution being sought and the parent’s ability to meet that contribution
  • The financial resources of the other parent
  • The child’s own financial resources or ability to earn money during school
  • Whether scholarships or grants are available for the child
  • The academic ability of the child, the reasonableness of the child’s expectation to attend college, the child’s commitment to and aptitude for the program, and whether the program meets the child’s long-term goals
  • The relationship between the child and both parents

Be Proactive About Educational Expenses

During a divorce, it is a good idea to address the issues college tuition and child support beyond age 18 in your original divorce decree and support agreement. However, with everything else that takes place during the divorce process, planning for college expenses is often overlooked and must be addressed at a later date.

It is best to begin considering your financial options as soon as possible. Waiting until a child is ready to begin classes seldom works out well. It can take months to negotiate a child support and college tuition agreement that works for all parties involved.

Contact Us About Child Support Modifications and College Expenses

Whether you are seeking college tuition and continuing child support from your child’s other parent or you are responding to such a request, we can help. Our goal is to protect your interests along with those of your children. Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq. to arrange a consultation at our Freehold or East Brunswick law offices. Evening and weekend appointments are available.

Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite