4 Documents to Change After Your Divorce By JWGLAWYER on June 24, 2015

Signing  divorce papersAfter youve finished signing the divorce decree, it might seem like the hard work has passed. While majority of your work has finished, theres a few important details you might want to finish up so you dont wind up with a major problem down the road. Here are four legal documents you need to change, after your divorce is final.

Your name change documents

Chances are after your divorce, going by your married name isnt a top priority so make sure you complete the needed documents to change back to your maiden name. If youre not sure how to do that, contact your local government agency.

Insurance Beneficiaries

Majority of your insurance documents probably list your ex as the beneficiary should something happen to you or your property. If youve got children, consider placing their name as the benefactor to your policies. To change this, contact your insurance company and ask for the paperwork to change the names.

Your will or power of attorney

Power of attorney allows an individual to take control over your financial, physical and medical decisions, in the event you become incapacitated and can no longer do so. As much as your ex is now behind you, if youd rather they not have the ability to decide whats best for your personal well-being change the name as soon as possible.

Title to property

After the divorce is final, the property between you and your ex will have been determined (whether at your own discretion or by that of a judge). Its important to transfer or change the documentation should you have given up any property. For instance, if you happen to leave your name on the title and there is an accident you will be held responsible for any damages.

Deed to the house

More than likely one of you (or both in the event of a sale) is going to be removed from the title to your married home. If youve gained the house during the divorce, its important to secure any financing in your own name or make the proper documentation to remove your exs name from the title to the home. Make sure that youre able to financially afford the taxes, transfer fees and any other expenses listed down in your decree as these will remain your financial responsibility moving forward.

Related to This

Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite