Child grabbing an adult's finger

Child Custody Lawyer

When a family faces a separation, children have the right to maintain a stable relationship with both parents.

In the best interests of the child during a divorce, we believe the rights and obligations of both parents should be equally considered.

The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, NJ, advocate for your rights in child custody cases...

Child grabbing an adult's finger

A Compassionate Family Law Attorney

There are few child custody attorneys in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, with more experience in family law than Jeffrey W. Goldblatt. Mr. Goldblatt offers compassionate and effective representation as a child custody lawyer helping Middlesex County. We can handle a wide scope of divorce related legal issues involving custody arrangements. From straightforward family law mediations to complex cases involving instances of domestic violence, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has helped parents with all matters of child custody.

What Types of Custody Are There?

It is important to distinguish between the different types of child custody in family law matters. The two primary types of child custody are legal and physical custody. In any child custody dispute, a number of factors need to be considered to determine the best interests of the child, including any history of domestic violence.

At our law firm in East Brunswick, New Jersey, child custody lawyer Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can help if you need to change the type of custody you currently have with your child.

Different Types of Custody

Legal Custody

Legal custody refers to a parent's right to consultation regarding major decisions affecting the child's general welfare, including health and education as well as access to record. In a typical situation, the parties will enjoy joint legal custody. This allows both parents to actively participate in the child's life and make important decisions after mutual consultation.

Physical or Residential Custody

Physical or residential custody refers to the actual residence of the child. If one parent is granted residential custody of the child, the child will primarily live with that parent, subject to the other parents rights of parenting time. There are different types of custody arrangements. Ever-increasingly, parties are electing equal custody relationships with the exact division of time to be negotiated by the parties and their attorneys. Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has devised these parenting plans and it is essential you have the assistance of an experienced attorney to guide you through this process.

Do I Need a Child Custody Attorney?

There are any number of reasons that necessitate a change in child custody. Many cases in family law arise post-divorce or breakup, well after initial custody has been established. Life events and the needs of the child may change over time. It is crucial to consult a family law professional who understands the methods and procedures necessary to build a successful child custody case.

As a child custody lawyer, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has a long track record of helping parents who need custody matters resolved. With a history of practicing family law for over 30 years in Middlesex County, Mr. Goldblatt is well versed in nearly all types of divorce matters.

Contact us online or call us at our East Brunswick, New Jersey, office at (732) 402-8124 to see how Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can assist you today.

Jeffrey Goldblatt

Chris P.

Google logo

Mr. Goldblatt is an excellent Attorney and very easy to work with. His knowledge of family law and his dedication to me as a client resulted in a much better than expected outcome. I highly recommend Mr. Goldblatt for any matters you might need legal assistance with.

View On Google

Lewis L.

Google logo

Recently I was experiencing a difficult family situation and consulted Mr. Goldblatt for legal advice. I found him to be extremely knowledgeable in family law. He was responsive to all my questions, made me feel very comfortable and handled my  problem in an efficient and timely way. He was always accessible to talk with me. He is a skilled litigator and has had much experience in the courtroom. I would highly recommend him.

View On Google

How Is Child Support Determined?

Arriving at a fair and comprehensive child support plan is an important step in any divorce proceeding. Regardless of how the relationship with your co-parent ended, you want your child to have everything they need to thrive. Fair child support can assure that your son or daughter has every opportunity to succeed. 

In family law, the court considers a variety of financial factors to determine child support payments. The court will utilize New Jersey child support guideline calculations in order to determine the appropriate amount of child support. If there has been a serious change in the financial situation for you or your former spouse, our law firm can help you file for the appropriate post judgement modification. This protects not only your rights, but the rights of your children.

Can I Relocate with My Child?

To provide for yourself and your child, you may find employment outside the state of New Jersey. A parent in East Brunswick who shares custody or parenting time rights cannot relocate a child without advising the other parent and petitioning the court for a child custody modification.

While it is in the child's best interest for both parents to come to an agreement through negotiation or mediation, parents are not always able to do this. Sometimes, a judge is needed to hold a hearing to determine if the move should be allowed. This can happen when one parent plans on moving away with the children against the wishes of the other co-parent.

The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, can help parents who need to relocate out of New Jersey or who are facing an ex-spouse looking to relocate.

Mother lifting up a child surrounded by moving boxes

Robert D.

Google logo

I highly recommend the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt. Mr. Goldblatt is very experienced in the area of family law. He helped me make smart choices in the face of difficult decisions with respect to my assets and my children. He was able to handle any issues that my case presented. He is a skilled negotiator and a great litigator with a real presence in the courtroom. His fees were very reasonable.

View On Google

Daniel F.

Google logo

Jeff was the best attorney I could have asked for. The night I was served I was calling around to attorneys he called me back that night. He helped me get through my divorce with ease. Highly recommend to anyone.

View On Google

Parental Alienation Syndrome

Parents naturally influence their children. Sometime, however, one parent manipulates this influence to alienate the other parent. If you think that your ex-spouse is turning your child against you, Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can help you to reclaim your relationship before it is too late.

Not every parent is perfect and not every relationship ends well. Regardless, your co-parent should not turn your child against you. Parental alienation syndrome occurs in a child who comes to believe that the targeted parent is someone unworthy of having a relationship with. This develops as a result of the behavior of the alienating parent. 

You do not have to give up on your child. At some point in the future, your child will know if you gave up the fight to be in their life. The Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., in East Brunswick, Freehold, and Wall, New Jersey, will help you in your fight to restore and rehabilitate your relationship with your child. 

Can You Help with Adoption?

When one biological parent is out of the picture, a stepparent or grandparent can be just as important in a child's life. In such cases, many stepparents want to formally adopt their spouse's children. This form of adoption, called stepparent adoption, is now the most common form of adoption in the United States.

At the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq., we help families establish the legal relationship of parent and child through the process of stepparent adoption. The process of adopting a stepchild is complex. It is important to hire a resourceful law firm with a history of handling family law matters. With over three decades of service in Middlesex County in the field of family law, child custody lawyer Jeffrey W. Goldblatt can guide you through the process so it goes as smoothly as possible.

Man and young boy fist bumping
Office exterior

Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Goldblatt Esq.

Attorney Jeffrey W. Goldblatt has been representing family law, criminal law, and social security disability clients since 1975. He is proud to be affiliated with top legal organizations, including:

  • Middlesex County Bar Association
  • Family Law Committee
  • Monmouth County Bar Association
  • New Jersey State Bar Association 

If you are looking for legal representation from a top-rated lawyer in East Brunswick, call our law firm at (732) 238-8700 or request a consultation online.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 9 E Auer Court  East Brunswick, NJ

East Brunswick Office

9 E Auer Court
East Brunswick, NJ 08816

Open Today 8:30am - 6:00pm

Available by appointment and accessible via phone and email Saturday and Sunday

Google map image of our location in 45 Court St  Freehold, NJ

Freehold Office

45 Court St
Freehold, NJ 07728

Open Today 8:30am - 6:00pm

Available by appointment and accessible via email and phone Saturday and Sunday

Google map image of our location in 1540 Rte 138 Ste 203 Wall, NJ

Wall Office

1540 Rte 138
Ste 203
Wall, NJ 07719

Open Today 8:30am - 6:00pm

Available by appointment and accessible via phone and email Saturday and Sunday

Which location would you prefer?

Tell us a bit about yourself...

Send a message